About This Blog

Past: Prayers, Peter Pan, and Perturbed Parents

Without a doubt, I loved the Disney classic Peter Pan  when I was a kid. Ha! What am I saying? I still love that movie! In fact, I actually bought a copy on DVD a couple years back with my wife. That is to say, there were no kids around at the time, which means that it was for our viewing pleasure as adults. The movie is hilarious and somewhat captivating.
   The particular memory that I want to go back to takes place when I was about seven years old or less. Let's see here, if I am not mistaken, this was around 1992, and more specifically it was winter. I just looked it up, and it appears that it was released during 1990 for VHS, and I watched that movie dozens, if not hundreds of times, so I would say anytime between 1991 and 1992 winter is accurate. Sorry to bore you.
    It was a mid-evening, and Peter Pan just ended on our home entertainment system for the one millionth time.





I thought about Peter Pan and his miraculous flying ability, and I was not happy. Why is it that Peter Pan could zoom around the sky, but I had to make do with walking around?





I had to do something about this problem, but I was somewhat limited in my options for resolving it. When faced with an impossible-to-solve problem which no one around can do anything about that needs to be done immediately, where is one supposed to turn? Of course, God himself.

   Time for serious prayers! I ran to my bedroom and launched myself into my bunk for a fervent prayer in which I never knew the likes of ever before. Ten seconds later, I knew that the Almighty Lord honored my selfless petition, and I was ready to fly.

As quickly as I ran into my room to gain access to solo human flight, I rushed out and into the living room to test my skills. I reared up and took off to the other side of the room. I don't quite know why, but I thought it would be great to jump into our wood stove. Perhaps I was so confident in my ability to fly that I didn't think that I would get burned or knocked out.





 Thankfully, neither of those things happened. My mom grabbed me in mid-jump and cancelled my short flight.



I remember mom scolding me in a loud manner, "what are you doing?" I seem to also remember some arguing back and forth between my mom and dad for a minute. I think they were discussing how dangerous the stove was to little boys that were trying to fly.

   Man, was I ever disappointed with my lack of weightlessness. However, I learned a very important theological truth that night. It seems that God is very stingy with cool powers. I'll never know why God decided to withhold flight from me, but I'm sure that he has his reasons. Probably because I was a bad boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment